|illustration by Annelie Solis|
I gathered some of my favorite flamingo illustrations, pictures and other pretty things that I hope you will enjoy too. But first, let's see some fun facts about the pretty pink birds:
- There are six different species of flamingos.
- Flamingos are found in warm, shallow and watery regions of many continents. Their vast habitats include estuaries and saline or alkaline lakes in Africa, Asia, North America, Central America, South America, and Europe.
- Flamingos live an average of 20 to 30 years.
- The bend halfway down the flamingo's leg is actually its ankle.
- A very interesting fact about flamingos' beautiful pink feathers is that it is their diet that makes them colored so; it is high in beta carotene and found in foodstuffs such as algae and prawns.
- Flamingos often rest on one leg in the shallows. This position is very comfortable for the bird, as it greatly reduces the amount of body heat lost to the cool water.
- Flamingos are defenseless creatures which do not fight back and simply fly away when they feel threatened.
- These have a good eyesight and color perception, a good hearing ability, but have a poor sense of smell and taste.
- Flamingos are very social birds. They love to remain in flocks.
- They won’t nest unless there are other flamingos around. Both male and female flamingos mound up mud for a nest for their 1 egg and take turns incubating it.
- Flamingos are monogamous birds that lay only a single egg each year. If that egg is lost or damaged, they do not typically lay a replacement.
What's your current obsession? I would love to know :)
Enjoy indulging yourself with things you love and obsess about, life should be fun!